Prevent manual changes to Time fields...

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:39 AM
Suggestion:- Include boolean configuration allowing the "Selected: xxxx --> Estimates" dialog to be non-editable.

These are to be controlled potentially from MS Project, or, the fields will be readonly apart from TFS or project administrators - in general the fields aren't exposed in our workitem templates.

Hence, developers, testers etc can ONLY contribute time via elapsed time updates.

I intend using this approach alongside "TFS Timesheets" web application - allowing end-of-week review, fixups and administration (approvals)

I look forward to hearing from you (again).

Thanks.

Andy Welch, NZ
Coordinator
Apr 1, 2009 at 10:32 PM
Edited Apr 1, 2009 at 10:33 PM
Hi Andy

I have raise work item #7412 for this issue. Can you please make sure the work item is doing what you are asking and update it as required? Rather than just hiding the fields from your work item template forms, you will need to add the readonly attribute for the appropriate groups, once I have implement this work item. If you were to do this now, I assume TFS Working On would throw an exception if they tried to update the fields. (I haven't spent much time on security checks yet )

Cheers

Matthew Rowan
Apr 1, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Hi Matt

The three fields BaselineWork, CompletedWork and RemainingWork can be displayed in workitem reports – by editing the report columns, hence, for a project admin the report is a suitable view – likewise individual staff can use a similar view for their own assigned workitems.

It appears that the fields can be left out of the workitem template completely since they are implicitly included as system fields, hence can avoid the fields being updateable in the workitem UI and no need to get into the tricky terrain of group-specific readonly fiddling (which, as we’ve previously discussed, would prevent workingon from updating the workitem). I find generally the less I try to do with workitem template markup the more success I have! It’s a hairy platform!

Hence, the "Selected: xxxx --> Estimates" dialog in WorkingOn is the only current means my staff can fiddle with these values. Being able to display them is fine. Hence the required changes for this suggestion should be quite small I expect.

As mentioned, the nicely complimentary project “Tfs Timesheet” is providing a backend end-of-week tool for tweaking and approval of individual timesheets.

I received this useful summary of it’s logic this morning in response to some questions:-

Yes, when the completed work value in a work item is changed, we compare it to the previous value and add that amount to the day's total for that person. We do not make the assumption of one work item per person: whoever makes a change to the completed work gets that amount to assigned to them. If you want to only have time entry available through the timesheet, you can create completed work fields for the work item template but not any user-facing corresponding field in the UI. Then, as time is entered through the timesheet, the corresponding work item would have a history entry added.

Hence, I’m rather pleased by how well these to packages integrate.

I’m getting there! Slowly…

Thanks again.

Andy Welch.

Ps and b.t.w – I’m seeing a couple of staff who’s WorkingOn updates aren’t being reflected in the workitem “CompletedWork” field – I’ve double checked their config and it’s as it should be. Do you have any suggestions? Not sure how I can dig further into this. Thanks.

Sent: Thursday, 2 April 2009 10:33 a.m.
To: Andy Welch
Subject: Re: Prevent manual changes to Time fields... [TFSWorkingOn:51921]

Hi Andy

I have raise work item #7412 for this issue. Can you please make sure the work item is doing what you are asking and update it as required? Rather than just hiding the fields from your work item template forms, you will need to add the readonly attribute for the appropriate groups, once I have implement this work item. If you were to do this now, I assume TFS Working On would throw an exception if they tried to update the fields. (I haven't spent much time on security checks yet )

Cheers

Matthew Rowan

To: [email removed]
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 22:39:45 -0700
Subject: Prevent manual changes to Time fields... [TFSWorkingOn:51921]

Suggestion:- Include boolean configuration allowing the "Selected: xxxx --> Estimates" dialog to be non-editable.

These are to be controlled potentially from MS Project, or, the fields will be readonly apart from TFS or project administrators - in general the fields aren't exposed in our workitem templates.

Hence, developers, testers etc can ONLY contribute time via elapsed time updates.

I intend using this approach alongside "TFS Timesheets" web application - allowing end-of-week review, fixups and administration (approvals)

I look forward to hearing from you (again).

Thanks.

Andy Welch, NZ

Click Here View photos of singles in your area

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (TFSWorkingOn@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email TFSWorkingOn@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Apr 1, 2009 at 11:12 PM
Hi Andy

Is simply the ability you would like, is that on the mapping configuration screen, I could just add a check box, ReadOnly next to each field. This way is it set in the team mappings configuration file and the estimates form can check those settings and set the field accordingly?

I haven't played with the Tfs Timesheet project yet. I'm happy to hear the two can work together nicely. I was hoping that would be the case. As for the not working updates, try updating directly in the estimates form, and see if that updates the work item. If not, it really sounds like the mappings file. Check also that they are connected to the correct server, project, work item type, etc. I know that sounds obvious, but we have had that issue here and it can be very subtle to spot.

Cheers

Matthew Rowan

Get the new Windows Live Messenger. Looking for a fresh way to share photos?
Apr 1, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Thanks Matthew.

Since this is client-only, I see that it isn’t as easy as a config – there’s no facility for central config with suitable permissions.

It might be the case that I need to build the solution with these fields readonly for everyone – a simple mod I can make.

I’ll let you know.

Thanks

ANdy

Sent: Thursday, 2 April 2009 11:13 a.m.
To: Andy Welch
Subject: Re: Prevent manual changes to Time fields... [TFSWorkingOn:51921]

Hi Andy

Is simply the ability you would like, is that on the mapping configuration screen, I could just add a check box, ReadOnly next to each field. This way is it set in the team mappings configuration file and the estimates form can check those settings and set the field accordingly?

I haven't played with the Tfs Timesheet project yet. I'm happy to hear the two can work together nicely. I was hoping that would be the case. As for the not working updates, try updating directly in the estimates form, and see if that updates the work item. If not, it really sounds like the mappings file. Check also that they are connected to the correct server, project, work item type, etc. I know that sounds obvious, but we have had that issue here and it can be very subtle to spot.

Cheers

Matthew Rowan

Get the new Windows Live Messenger. Looking for a fresh way to share photos?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (TFSWorkingOn@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email TFSWorkingOn@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com