user activity tracking

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:12 AM
hello
first of all, thank you for the software you did and shared, I found it really useful.

what i'm missing now is the ability of tracking a single user (or a bunch of users) activty: while TFS is focused on task's time, i'd like to see also what my users did in one day, to be, for example, able to list for one day, for one user, a list of time slices with activities.

something like:

joe user
09.00 - 9.23 mail handling
9.24 - 11.50 tfs activity 156 
11.51 - 12.30 project management

etc

as tfs working on already performs things at workitem change selection to store info on TFS database, what i only need is to write this data also in a more structured then the history of a single tfs workitem: i was thinking to an xml file (obviously with an abstracted layer before, just in case of some other kind of future storage), but perhaps someone has a better idea... so let me know!

regards
marco
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2009 at 9:33 PM
Edited Feb 19, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Hi Marco

Thank you for the feedback.

I would like this kind of reporting also. In Work Item 6705 I am intending of keeping a personal working history, locally, which will give you exactly that data you have said, as well as estimation ability, total hours remaining per sprint, total hours spent and whatever else makes sense or is useful.

As you said all the data is in the TFS database and can be retrieved from the cube in some form. We have a query (needs tweaking) that shows the hours on each task per day, per developer, but not what time during the day those hours were done. I plan to include these types of reports in later version also. Potentially just using Reporting Services or Excel 2007 reports. I have raised Work Item 7142 for this. To try to get that data out of the cube yourself, see my post TFS Business Intelligence Reporting, which get you started in Excel 2007 with some TFS reports. There is also a good post Getting Started with the TFS Data Warehouse by Martin Woodward that should help until I build these in.

Thank you for your interest and please let me know of any other suggestions you have.

Regards

Matthew Rowan