Duration Mapping

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Hi Matthew,

First of all, thanks for the great tool.

I am performing a query using the WorkItemHistoryView from the TFS_Warehouse database.  My TFS Working On mapping are:

Duration: Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.BaseLineWork

Remaining: Microsofft.VSTS.Scheduling.RemainingWork

Elapsed: Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.CompletedWork.

I seem to only have a value in the Elapsed mapping.  Both the duration and remaining entries contain zero or NULL.

The elapsed value mapped to the BaseLineWork is the value I'am most interested in.  It would be nice to have the actual time spend on each history record, rather than the accumulated value contained in the CompletedWork.  

Any insight you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Hi Dan

Check the History in the work item at the end of each interval. You should have a comment like:

Working On Update:

Interval: 0 hours 38 minutes

Remaining: 0.00 Elapsed: 1.73 Duration: 1.00

You can also see what field were changed. If Remaining was already at zero it will remaining there. Duration does not change as it is the original estimate. Using the TFS Working On Estimates dialog the Remaining Time is set to the Duration. The intent is that the Duration can be compared against the Elapsed Time at the completion of the work item to determine the estimation accuracy.

For the actual time spent on each history record, are you suggesting just populating another field with the Interval value and leaving it to the warehousing to contain the history of that? That’s a good idea. At the moment the only interval history I have is written in the history comments, which is useless for reporting, but good for history on single work items.

Regards

Matthew

Sent: Saturday, 3 November 2012 12:51 AM
To: matthew_rowan@hotmail.com
Subject: Duration Mapping [TFSWorkingOn:401688]

Hi Matthew,

First of all, thanks for the great tool.

I am performing a query using the WorkItemHistoryView from the TFS_Warehouse database. My TFS Working On mapping are:

Duration: Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.BaseLineWork

Remaining: Microsofft.VSTS.Scheduling.RemainingWork

Elapsed: Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.CompletedWork.

I seem to only have a value in the Elapsed mapping. Both the duration and remaining entries contain zero or NULL.

The elapsed value mapped to the BaseLineWork is the value I'am most interested in. It would be nice to have the actual time spend on each history record, rather than the accumulated value contained in the CompletedWork.

Any insight you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan